Frequently Asked Questions

Where are you located?

The Technology Transfer office is located in Room 310 of the Center for Manufacturing Building (CRMS Bldg.) on the University of Kentucky’s Central Campus. We are part of the Kentucky Transportation Center which is located at 176 Oliver H. Raymond Building. We use that main office as our mailing address (176 Raymond Bldg, University of Kentucky, Lexingon, KY 40506-0281) as there is no mail pick-up at CRMS. Telephone numbers stay the same. · Get Directions

Must I be a Roads Scholar to become a Road Master?

Yes. You must first complete the Roads Scholar program before you can receive a Road Master’s certificate. However, you can work on both programs at the same time (see next question).

Can I enroll in both programs at the same time?

Yes, you can take classes from either program, but you must complete the Roads Scholar Program before receiving the Road Master designation.

I want to take a few courses but not join the program. Is this possible?

Certainly, that’s what we are here for—to serve your needs. These programs are designed to help you set goals and measure your achievements. Our programs are simply a resource for your agency. Some governmental agencies pick and choose from our course offerings to create their own staff training programs.

Then why would I need to enroll in either program?

If you are enrolled with us, you will be on a special mail list to receive updates on program changes and new developments. We will keep up with the courses you have taken and issue periodic progress reports to you and your supervisor. If you are enrolled, you also will receive periodic reminders of class schedules. If you are not enrolled, we will not be able to alert you to a class you need and will not be able to automatically sign you up for the presentation of certificates at the awards luncheon in your area. If your own agency has a method of tracking your participation, then there may be no advantage to you officially enrolling.

What if I have a special need – do these programs replace the Center's current on-demand offerings and other specialized training?

Call us anytime you have a special training need! We will continue to conduct training that is of special interest and we will do our best to present courses in your location upon request. Certificates of attendance for every course will be presented, and we will continue to maintain our database so that transcripts can be issued upon request.

Who pays for this?

We are able to offer training at about half the usual cost because we receive funding from the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet and from the Local Technical Assistance Program (LTAP) of the Federal Highway Administration. This partnership has been in place since 1984 when the Kentucky Transportation Center Technology Transfer Program began offering services for the benefit of transportation agencies statewide.

Is there a charge to borrow the Library videos?

No. The only cost you have is for the return postage. We ask that you return the video(s) by First Class Mail, UPS Ground, or FedEx Ground.

How do I borrow a video?

Requests for videos may be submitted by phone, fax, e-mail, mail, or in person. We need your name, address, phone, the date, and the video numbers or titles.

How do I know what videos are in the Library?

Visit the Online Video Catalog to view the videos available by the Library.

How do I find information and materials on a topic?

Contact our Library staff (see question below) for a literature search to find information on a topic or to find a particular resource.

How do I contact the KTC Library?

Laura Whayne is the Librarian and can be reached at 1-800-432-0719 or 859-257-2155 (Fax: 859-257-1815). Laura’s e-mail is [email protected].

How do I request a KTC publication or get on the mail list to receive The Link?

Contact the Library staff at 1-800-432-0719 or email Laura Whayne at [email protected] and give her your contact information.

How do I check out a video online?

Step-by-step instructions are available here.